For Professionals

Are you providing support to parents and families with child protection involvement? 

You might be a housing worker, GP, family support worker, social worker, counsellor or psychologist.  Many professionals come into contact with families who are dealing with child protection services.  This page is for you.  You will find links and resources here to help you support parents and families and/or provide appropriate referrals.

Be Trauma Informed

Webinar: Birth Parent Trauma and what Welfare Workers Need to Know - informative webinar about recognising and responding appropriately to trauma reactions of parents.

Social Worker

Support for Parents with Disabilities

Villamanta Legal Service - legal support when children have been removed due to their parent's intellectual disability.

The Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability Inc. (VALID) - an advocacy service for adults with intellectual disabilities and their families. VALID is funded by the Victorian Sate Government and is managed by an independent committee comprising people with disability, family members and concerned citizens.

Healthy Start - The Healthy Start website provides a range of excellent resources for supporting parents with intellectual disability, including informative Practice Sheets.  They also host free webinars.  Check out their video "What can we do better".

People with Disabilities Australia (PWDA) - advocacy for parents with disability who are dealing with child protection.  Call 1800 422 015.

Support for Parents with Mental Health or Addiction Issues

Mental Health Legal Centre Inc. - legal advice for people who believe children have been removed due to their parent's mental illness.

First Step Legal Service - legal advice for parents with children in care as a result of addiction issues.

Support for Aboriginal Parents

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service - can assist with child protection matters.

Aboriginal Family Support Services - contact your local Child First office and ask to be linked to Aboriginal Family Support providers in your area.

Linking Parents to Legal Advice (General)

Legal Aid Victoria - information about going to court for child protection matters in Victoria.

Legal Aid Victoria Child Protection Video - for Newly Arrived Communities.

Federation of Community Legal Centres Victoria - find a Community Legal Centre near you.

Parenting & Family Support

Child First - There are 24 Child and Family Information, Referral and Support Teams (Child FIRSTs) across Victoria. Each Child FIRST provides a central referral point to a range of community-based family services and other supports, including parenting courses.